Neighbors protest methadone clinic
HOLMESBURG - July 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Residents in the Holmesburg section of Philadelphia are upset over plans to open a methadone clinic in their neighborhood.
To show their outrage, neighbors and community leaders staged a huge rally on of Frankford Avenue at the site where the clinic would be located.
"We're ready to fight with every ounce of blood we have," Milt Martelack of Mayfair said.
Businesses near the location include a school and a daycare.
Philadelphia has other clinics around the city where the weaker narcotic is used as treatment for people who abuse drugs like heroin.
"It's not that we don't want to see drug addicts get help, however, it needs to be done the appropriate way; methadone is a Band-Aid to an addiction, not a solution," Martelack said.
The mayor's office says the group went through the proper zoning requirements and didn't need council approval.
Philadelphia Councilwoman Joan Krajewski and State Representative Kevin Boyle are leading the charge against the clinic.
"At no point did they reach out to any community group or any local elected officials to inform them of their intentions," Boyle told Action News. They say a company called Healing Way is behind the business, but they haven't been able to find out any information about the owner from the state health department.
Dawn Parris, who owns a business next door, believes she'll have to close up shop if the clinic opens.
"I already deal with people back and forth without a methadone clinic - on my pavement, shooting up here, just doing things they shouldn't do here," Parris said.
The clinic is not a done deal. The business still needs a permit from the State Department of Health.
Action News has learned Representative Boyle will meet with the Secretary of Health tomorrow.
"And I'll be asking him to deny the permit from Healing Way to distribute narcotics," Boyle said.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, holmesburg, local/state, kenneth moton
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 22 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 43 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 45 min ago
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 25 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 55 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 48 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 35 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 54 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 56 min ago
- Video: Pa. contender in Sriracha search for new home 15 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
22 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
13 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
43 min ago