Charges unlikely in Center City Burger King crash
PHILADELPHIA - July 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- An elderly man will not face charges after he lost control of his vehicle and slammed into the front of a fast food restaurant.
Officer Gibbs of Philadelphia Police AID tells Action News that charges are "unlikely" in this week's accident at the Burger King. Gibbs says that the investigation is continuing and it doesn't appear that there was any criminal intent involved in the accident.
The crash happened shortly after 2:30 Monday afternoon, at the Burger King on 8th and Market streets in Center City Philadelphia.
Police and eye witnesses say that the driver pulled out of a parking lot across the street and appeared to hit the gas instead of the brake.
"It sounded like he gunned the engine too hard. He hit the building pretty hard to go through that brick wall," said eyewitness Jesse Pfeffer.
Bystanders dove out of the way to avoid getting hit by the runaway vehicle.
"I just came out the building and I heard the engine and the car at the same time. I ran out of the way and the car just barely missed me," said Timothy Humphrey.
Initial reports indicate that seven people were injured in the crash.
At least one person is listed in critical condition with multiple fractures.
Six others are listed in stable condition with non-life threatening injuries, including the driver himself.
All of the victims were taken to either Jefferson or Hahnemann University hospitals. No word on their identities.
The accident is still under investigation.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, accident, burger king, local/state
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 4 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack 2 min ago
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore 16 min ago
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
4 min ago