Death of Sarah Townsend ruled suicide
BURLINGTON TWP., N.J. - July 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- The death of a Burlington County teenager, whose disappearance captivated the entire area for nearly a week this spring, has been ruled a suicide.
Sarah Townsend, 18, vanished back in early May. Her car was found abandoned in Green Acres Park in Burlington Township.
Five days later, officials found her body in the bottom of Sherman's Pond.
On Tuesday, Burlington County Medical Examiner Dr. Ian Hood, released the findings of his investigation, concluding Townsend committed suicide.
Hood also confirmed that a suicide note was in her car and that Townsend had significant levels of cocaine in her system.
Soon after her body was found, her cause of death was determined to be from drowning.
There were no signs of foul play.
new jersey, burlington county, missing person, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 47 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ