Death of Sarah Townsend ruled suicide
BURLINGTON TWP., N.J. - July 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- The death of a Burlington County teenager, whose disappearance captivated the entire area for nearly a week this spring, has been ruled a suicide.
Sarah Townsend, 18, vanished back in early May. Her car was found abandoned in Green Acres Park in Burlington Township.
Five days later, officials found her body in the bottom of Sherman's Pond.
On Tuesday, Burlington County Medical Examiner Dr. Ian Hood, released the findings of his investigation, concluding Townsend committed suicide.
Hood also confirmed that a suicide note was in her car and that Townsend had significant levels of cocaine in her system.
Soon after her body was found, her cause of death was determined to be from drowning.
There were no signs of foul play.
new jersey, burlington county, missing person, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash