2-year-old found in lake dies at hospital
WILLIAMSTOWN, N.J. - August 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- A toddler has died after being retrieved from a Gloucester County lake.
The 2-year-old boy was reported missing from his family's home in Williamstown, New Jersey at 8:23 p.m.
His aunt called police after finding the front door of the home open.
Responding to the aunt's call were members of the Monroe Township police and fire departments.
Police say the aunt, who is in her late 20s, and a friend found the boy in Victory Lake about 100 yards from the 12th Avenue home.
The boy, described to investigators as autistic, was in about three feet of water.
The 2-year-old was pronounced dead at Kennedy Memorial Hospital in Washington Township shortly after 11:00 p.m. after almost two hours on a life-support system.
The incident remains under investigation by the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office and the Monroe Township Police Department.
new jersey, gloucester county, drowning, local/state
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 8 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 41 min ago
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site 6 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 34 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon begins under tight security 3 min ago
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 15 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
41 min ago