Firefighters battle blaze at Pa. recycling plant
NAZARETH, Pa. - August 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A blaze that destroyed a recycling plant Tuesday sent massive clouds of black smoke high into the air and challenged 200 firefighters, who spent much of the day knocking down the heavy flames.
The fire began around 5 a.m. at Nicos Polymers Group in Plainfield Township, about 55 miles north of Philadelphia. The intense heat and flames destroyed the 180,000-square-foot fabricated steel structure and billowed thick smoke plumes that could be seen for miles.
Plainfield Township Fire Chief Greg Dawe said three employees were inside the building when the fire broke out, but all got out safely, according to The Morning Call of Allentown.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation, he said.
The state Department of Environmental Protection was on the scene to monitor air quality and water runoff but reported no problems.
Firefighters had a tough time getting enough water to fight the fire, supplementing their own tankers with water trucks on loan from dozens of fire companies and a nearby landfill. They managed to keep the flames from threatening a large propane tank.
The building contained plastics products and a large number of boxes and wooden pallets, landlord Jim Knicos told The Express-Times of Easton.
Knicos sold Nicos Polymers four years ago. The company was in bankruptcy when recycling firm Coll Materials of Zanesville, Ohio, purchased it earlier this year. Coll had intended to close the Plainfield Township plant and transfer 70 jobs to a new facility it is planning to open in Lehigh County.
Renee Coll told The Express-Times that she and her husband, Brian, are still moving forward with the purchase and insurance would cover the loss of materials and equipment they had planned to move to the new facility.
"We're just really grateful nobody was hurt," she said.
northampton county, pennsylvania, fire, local/state
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 51 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 58 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington 8 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 15 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash