Cop arrested for using taser on fellow officers
WEST READING, Pa. - August 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A West Reading police officer is facing charges for allegedly deploying a department issued taser on fellow officers.
A formal complaint was issued by a West Reading Patrolman accusing 35-year-old Matthew R. Beighley of an assault with a taser. A DVD was also given to investigators, allegedly depicting the incident.
After reviewing the DVD, Berks County District Attorney John T. Adams decided to launch a criminal investigation into the matter. During the course of the investigation, detectives learned that Sgt. Beighley used a department issued taser for what they say are "unlawful purposes" - using the Taser X26 on three people during three separate occasions.
According to the report from the DA, between May 2009 and March 22, 2011, Sgt. Beighley used the taser inside the West Reading Police Department while he was on duty. The victims were two West Reading Police Officers. The third incident occurred at Sgt. Beighley's father's residence in Topton, where his father was the victim of the tasing.
Sgt. Beighley surrendered to detectives on Tuesday, August 2, 2011. He is charged with the use or possession of an electronic incapacitation device (3 misdemeanor counts), official oppression (3 misdemeanor counts), and harassment (3 summary counts).
Bail was set at $10,000 unsecured.
police, taser, berks county, reading, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 17 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
17 min ago