Sources: Buyout for Ackerman in discussion
PHILADELPHIA - August 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia School Superintendent Arlene Ackerman responded to reporters' questions on her future with a vow of "I'm here until I'm told not to be here."
Ackerman says she wants to remain despite growing opposition asking for her ouster.
"I have to have the support of the people who hired me," Ackerman said.
Sources tell Action News, School Reform Commission (SRC) Chairman Robert Archie and Mayor Michael Nutter are among those not in favor of Ackerman's leadership.
They are trying to fashion a buyout to get her to leave before her contract is up in 2014.
On paper, Ackerman is due $1.5-million.
At today's SRC meeting, some of Ackerman's more vocal supporters opened fire on her critics.
"Dr. Ackerman, gird up your loins. That's what the scripture says. They say when they come upon you to eat up your flesh, the Lord will make them stumble and fall," Pastor Pamela Williams of West Philadelphia said at the meeting.
Ackerman says it's all about the students.
"I'm really not sorry that I'm not a politician, I'm an educator. I came here to fight for these children, all of these children, and I'm not going to back down," Ackerman said.
The SRC issued a one sentence statement late today saying the commission remains committed to working with Ackerman as stated under her employment agreement.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia school district, arlene ackerman, local/state, vernon odom
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 6 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- No charges for FSU's Jameis Winston 46 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's