Sports injuries and young athletes
PERKASIE, Pa. - Augsut 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- With so many young people playing sports now, at a very high level of competition, the risk of injury has also risen.
Parents gathered at Pennridge High School Thursday night to listen to doctors on how to keep their sons and daughters safe on the playing field.
"If we look at the number one age group for concussions, it's 11 to 15-year-olds," Dr. Mathew Grady, a pediatric sports medicine specialist at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, said.
The concussions don't just occur on the football field.
Girl soccer players are the third most likely subgroup to suffer a concussion.
That was stunning news for Pam Drugotch, who has a freshman daughter who plays the sport.
"The girls are running around with no protection and bang their heads, that's probably a more severe concussion then football with protection," Drugotch said.
Dr. Grady would like to see youth football scale back contact and emphasize skill sets.
"At the football level, I think you can become a great football player, including NFL football player, without playing tackle youth football," Grady said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 4.3-million emergency room visits annually are due to sports injuries. But millions more go unreported and doctors say a big reason for those injuries is overuse.
"A lot of these injuries I see are little league baseball players, little leaguer's elbow, little leaguer's shoulder, these are injuries that occur because kids are throwing the ball too often, too much," Dr. Johne Minnich of Upper Bucks Orthopedics said.
These doctors say parents and coaches need to take it easy on young student athletes, allow their developing bodies to mature, and to let them simply have fun.
pennsylvania, bucks county, concussion, local/state, chad pradelli
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 10 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 45 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 42 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 21 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
18 min ago
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
10 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
45 min ago
- New video released in apparent Pa. road...
9 min ago