Boy injured after SF Giants game still in hospital
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - August 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- A nine-year-old Philadelphia boy hit by a suspected drunken driver after a Philadelphia Phillies game is continuing to make what a hospital spokeswoman calls "small improvements" but remains in critical condition.
Ryan White was hit by a pickup truck as he and his family walked in a crosswalk a few blocks from AT&T Park after a game between the Phillies and the San Francisco Giants Thursday night.
At the request of the family, hospital officials are not releasing details about the boy's injuries.
Police say after Ryan was hit, the driver of the pickup truck, Andrew Alan Vargas, collided with several parked cars. A 58-year-old Granite Bay woman was also hit by the truck, but was not seriously injured.
About an hour after Ryan was hit, the 21-one-year-old Vargas was arrested in Hayward on suspicion of drunk driving and felony hit-and-run.
He was being held in San Francisco County Jail.
hit and run, pedestrian struck, san francisco, california, philadelphia, local/state
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 32 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Police officer's SUV stolen with gun, badge
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House