A spectacular day of sports for some special kids
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - August 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- It was a day of inspiration mixed with perspiration in South Philadelphia Saturday.
It was the annual Kids Sports Spectacular, a sporting event for kids who refuse to be limited by their limitations.
And what these kids are able to do is nothing short of spectacular. They have physical disabilities, but that hasn't slowed any of them down.
"They play basketball, they play hockey, they play tennis, and they have absolutely no limitations even though everyone looks at them and say, 'oh no, he can't, he can't'. But they can do whatever they put their minds to," says Alex Pabon.
Alex came to the Kids Sports Spectacular reluctantly four years ago, now he is a team leader.
He says the experience has transformed his life, which is the goal for all these kids.
"It's a life changing experience for the whole community, the family, the whole system. Because these kids can now be involved in sports, and they can go out and they can play with their peers," explains Laura Schwanger from the United Spinal Association.
They're not on the sidelines anymore. They are right in there competing and giving it their all.
"There are a lot of kids that say they can't do stuff, but then they come here. There are a lot of opportunities," says Jose Ayala.
"I know this is the only place to come and have fun, only right here," said Gavin Goney. "Some people you don't see; some people you might know; you just don't know who is going to be here."
For these kids, it's more than learning new skills and building self esteem, it is also about meeting new friends; a whole new social network.
"It's fun, like meeting new people," said Joe Rafter.
They may have their limitations, but like all kids, they like to compete and win. And there's not a loser among them.
children, disabilities, south philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 49 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 26 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 18 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 22 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 11 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
13 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
22 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
28 min ago