Philly schools: More data needed in cheating probe
PHILADELPHIA - August 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- Could there have been wholesale cheating in 2009 on standardized state tests at some Philadelphia schools?
Last month, state investigators found suspicious erasure patterns and unusual test scores at some schools.
Today, the School District of Philadelphia responded, saying it can't say if there was cheating. School officials say the state information is too general to even launch an investigation at any of the 13 schools the District concedes are under a cloud.
"We don't think that's adequate. We would like to see student by student files," Deputy Chief of Accountability Dr. Francis Newburg said.
Philadelphia is one of 49 districts statewide that was ordered to look into scoring irregularities on the 2009 Pennsylvania System of School Assessment exams, also known as the PSSA.
Philadelphia is asking the state for studies of other years.
"They really just looked at the 2009 PSSA results; they didn't do any multi-year comparisons," Director of Accountablity Daniel Piotrowski said.
Then there are the published allegations by staffers of students getting improper assistance on test day at Roosevelt Middle School.
"We have spent three days there interviewing students, teachers, administrators, no one named a teacher as doing anything...in terms of erasure," Newburg said.
So, again, could there have been wholesale cheating in 2009?
The District says it cannot answer that until it gets more information from Harrisburg or a whistleblower comes forward.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia school district, education, local/state
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 39 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 45 min ago
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
45 min ago