Move-in day gets an upgrade at PhilaU
EAST FALLS - August 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- Soccer players Kelli Kowalewski and Dana Rokoszak were among the first lucky students to move into Philadelphia University's newest dorm today.
The Residences at Falls Center was just completed in the former Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania building in East Falls.
Among the features of the 131 units are walk-in closets, full kitchens, multiple baths and all-new furniture.
"I like that everything is brand new, it's not dirty, nothing seems like there's going to be a problem trying to operate it or anything," Kelli said.
"Cleanliness is a big thing and we're both so happy that we have two bathrooms so it's easier getting ready," Dana said.
Axis Construction turned the old hospital into a dorm in just 10 months after several years of planning.
"This is completely gutted out, brand new, mechanical, electrical, fire suppression, life safety systems, with a shell that's on the historic registry," CEO of Axis Construction Management William Bostic said.
For parents, like Robert Rokoszak knowing their child is living in a brand-new dorm with the best of amenities is a big comfort during the mixed emotions of college drop-off.
"This is fabulous, clean, really set up nice. the elevator system bringing everything up. It was so much easier than the last three years," Dana's father, Robert Rokoszak, said.
The big move-in day comes this weekend and University officials and the builders are hoping that all of the new students who get to live here are as pleasantly surprised as the returning athletes we spoke to today.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, college, back to school, local/state, amy buckman
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs