Meeting discusses flash mob causes, solutions
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - August 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- The standing room only crowd at the Vare Rec Center spoke volumes of the concerns residents have about kids taking part in violent flash mobs.
"And if we don't take a hold of this thing, it's going to get worse," community activist Isam Smith said.
The meeting, organized in part by 'Mother's in Charge', an anti-youth violence advocacy group, brought parents together with representative from various city agencies.
City Youth Commissioner Jordan Harris told parents the flash mobs are a symptom of a bigger problem in the community.
"So we're saying to our children, you live in place with the same number of people who are losing their lives [from homicides] that are losing their lives in a warzone," Harris
Some said in strong words, that it's time for parents to get involved in their children's lives.
Some of the comments heard at the meeting included:
"The men in this community have to stand up."
"Teach your boys to wear their pants on their waists!"
Parents were implored to expose their kids to positive things other than the violence they may see every other day.
"Here's the thing, you can't ask a young person what you want to be and expect them to say architect if they don't know what a architect is," Harris said.
Muhammad Shakur the Senior Manager of Education and Assessment of the National Comprehensive Center for Fathers which teaches young people how to be productive members of society spoke up at the meeting.
"We are definitely looking to mentor young children," Shakur said.
Vernetta Burger also voiced his opinion. His group, Parents Involved Network, teaches parents how to be active in their kids' lives.
"So if the children don't see that the parents care about them or their education or where they are or what they're doing, why should they?" Burger said.
It turns out many parents didn't even know of these various programs that are out there.
Deputy Mayor Everett Gillison reminded people, that if you don't know, call 311 and ask.
If you don't get an answer right away, call again.
National Comprehensive Center for Fathers
Western Learning Center
Parents Involved Network
Diversified Community Services
Mothers in Charge
philadelphia, pennsylvania, flash mob, south philadelphia, local/state, dann cuellar
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 30 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 48 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest