Authorities searching for missing NJ swimmer
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - August 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Rescue crews were searching Sunday for a swimmer who went missing in waters off southern New Jersey.
Authorities say 59-year-old James W. Ashley of Mays Landing failed to resurface after he went swimming off a 20-foot boat in the Mullica River off Atlantic City.
The boat's owner notified authorities around 12:35 p.m. The Coast Guard responded by sending a 25-foot small crew response boat from its Barnegat Light station and an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from its Atlantic City station.
New Jersey state police were also involved in the search, along with other state and local agencies.
missing boater, atlantic city, new jersey, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police