Shelters open around our area
August 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- Due to Hurricane Irene, shelters have been set up across the area.
According to the Red Cross:
The shelters will stay open until all visitors can return to their homes. They are being set up to hold 500 people each, with ability to expand. If more shelter locations are needed, the Red Cross will also set up and run any other locations - as determined by city officials. People should use the shelter as a last resort - they should try to stay with relatives or friends first. The American Red Cross volunteers will provide cots, food and beverages at each of the shelters. People who need to come to the shelter should bring ID and medications that they need. They should also bring clothing, toiletries and things they would need to spend the night away from home. Pack now and be ready.
Philadelphia will open shelters at 6 p.m. Saturday at the following locations:
Anyone needing shelter due to life threatening evacuations ONLY can respond to Cornwells Elementary School.
Cape May County:
The location is:
Elementary School # 2
101 West Pacific Avenue
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210
The facility is not equipped with Cots, Blankets or pillows.
New Castle County/Wilmington Counties
RELATED: How to prepare for Hurricane Irene
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, pennsylvania, philadelphia, delaware, new jersey, atlantic county, berks county, bucks county, burlington county, camden county, cape may county, cumberland county, delaware county, hunterdon county, jersey shore, lancaster county, mercer county, monmouth county, montgomery county, new castle county, northampton county, ocean county, salem county, sussex county, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 2 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts 58 min ago
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos