Tornado causes major damage in Lewes, Del.
GEORGETOWN, Del. - August 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Sussex County spokesman says according to the National Weather Service, a tornado touched down in Nassau Station just southwest of Lewes.Chip Guy says radar indicates a tornado cell formed in the area and witnesses reported seeing a funnel cloud Saturday evening. Guy says according to emergency responders, about 15 structures were damaged. There were no reports of injuries.
RELATED: Get the latest track of Irene with the 6abc.com Hurricane Tracker.
Meanwhile, Gov. Jack Markell says the Federal Emergency Management Agency has granted Delaware's pre-landfall emergency declaration request, making the state eligible for federal assistance for operations of critical facilities and shelters.
The aid could also be provided for operations after the storm and additional support for local shelters, including communications equipment, supplies, food service and bedding.
Markell says he will make an additional request for an emergency declaration from FEMA so rebuilding efforts would be eligible for federal aid.
RELATED: How to prepare for Hurricane Irene
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, delaware, local/state
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 17 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 46 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Accused Craigslist robber charged with murdering accomplice 4 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed