Tornado causes major damage in Lewes, Del.
GEORGETOWN, Del. - August 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Sussex County spokesman says according to the National Weather Service, a tornado touched down in Nassau Station just southwest of Lewes.Chip Guy says radar indicates a tornado cell formed in the area and witnesses reported seeing a funnel cloud Saturday evening. Guy says according to emergency responders, about 15 structures were damaged. There were no reports of injuries.
RELATED: Get the latest track of Irene with the 6abc.com Hurricane Tracker.
Meanwhile, Gov. Jack Markell says the Federal Emergency Management Agency has granted Delaware's pre-landfall emergency declaration request, making the state eligible for federal assistance for operations of critical facilities and shelters.
The aid could also be provided for operations after the storm and additional support for local shelters, including communications equipment, supplies, food service and bedding.
Markell says he will make an additional request for an emergency declaration from FEMA so rebuilding efforts would be eligible for federal aid.
RELATED: How to prepare for Hurricane Irene
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, delaware, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 33 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 14 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
14 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
33 min ago