Tornado causes major damage in Lewes, Del.
GEORGETOWN, Del. - August 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Sussex County spokesman says according to the National Weather Service, a tornado touched down in Nassau Station just southwest of Lewes.Chip Guy says radar indicates a tornado cell formed in the area and witnesses reported seeing a funnel cloud Saturday evening. Guy says according to emergency responders, about 15 structures were damaged. There were no reports of injuries.
RELATED: Get the latest track of Irene with the 6abc.com Hurricane Tracker.
Meanwhile, Gov. Jack Markell says the Federal Emergency Management Agency has granted Delaware's pre-landfall emergency declaration request, making the state eligible for federal assistance for operations of critical facilities and shelters.
The aid could also be provided for operations after the storm and additional support for local shelters, including communications equipment, supplies, food service and bedding.
Markell says he will make an additional request for an emergency declaration from FEMA so rebuilding efforts would be eligible for federal aid.
RELATED: How to prepare for Hurricane Irene
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, delaware, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 4 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
4 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
3 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos