Tornado causes major damage in Lewes, Del.
GEORGETOWN, Del. - August 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Sussex County spokesman says according to the National Weather Service, a tornado touched down in Nassau Station just southwest of Lewes.Chip Guy says radar indicates a tornado cell formed in the area and witnesses reported seeing a funnel cloud Saturday evening. Guy says according to emergency responders, about 15 structures were damaged. There were no reports of injuries.
RELATED: Get the latest track of Irene with the 6abc.com Hurricane Tracker.
Meanwhile, Gov. Jack Markell says the Federal Emergency Management Agency has granted Delaware's pre-landfall emergency declaration request, making the state eligible for federal assistance for operations of critical facilities and shelters.
The aid could also be provided for operations after the storm and additional support for local shelters, including communications equipment, supplies, food service and bedding.
Markell says he will make an additional request for an emergency declaration from FEMA so rebuilding efforts would be eligible for federal aid.
RELATED: How to prepare for Hurricane Irene
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, delaware, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 15 min ago
- Record Warmth! 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall...
15 min ago
- Record Warmth!
1 min ago