Residents in flooded NJ communities allowed home
VINELAND, N.J. - August 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Residents who were evacuated in the area of the Willow Grove Lake Dam in Vineland, New Jersey are being allowed to return home.
Those residents were allowed back around noon on Tuesday.
Now residents are left to clean up from Hurricane Irene's mayhem.
Frank Di Mauro has been running several sump pumps continuously trying to remove the water from his home.
"This has been a nightmare." said Di Mauro.
Throughout the Vineland neighborhood, residents are still pumping water from basements non-stop.
"This is the worse that we've seen in 30 years," said Joe Giocondo.
Giocondo and his wife are still recovering from Irene's aftermath.
"It was enough to carve new rivers in places we didn't have rivers," said Joan Giocondo.
Just a stone's throw away is the Willow Grove Lake where yesterday, the water rushed furiously across Weymouth Willow Grove Road.
There are a series of lakes in the area and when it appeared the dam might give way, the National Guard ordered residents to evacuate.
Workers and engineers from Cumberland and Salem counties dumped rocks to prevent further undermining the road and sending more water into the local neighborhood.
The process worked but signs of how far the water travelled is evident everywhere.
Hurricane Irene dropped more water on an area already soaked and damaged from heavy rains earlier in August.
Tuesday, Lieutenant Governer Kim Guadano toured the areas hit hardest.
"I'm going to go back and report to the governer that its every bit as bad as we expected. The good news is everybody is ready to rebuild. Everybody is working together," said Guadano.
The two storms will be events treated separately in applying for funds but there is one common goal and that is to recover and rebuild.
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, new jersey, cumberland county, local/state, cathy gandolfo
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 20 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 28 min ago
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 10 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 18 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
20 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
18 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
10 min ago