The 44 victims of Hurricane Irene
WASHINGTON - August 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Hurricane Irene has led to the deaths of at least 44 people in 13 states, according to an Associated Press tally. Additionally, Irene is responsible for at least eight deaths in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. The information is derived from law enforcement agencies, emergency officials and family members..
- Michael Scerarko, 44, dies Sunday when a tree fell on him in his yard.
- Walter J. "Gator" Bruder, 59, of Harrisburg, dies when a tree topples onto his camping tent.
- Richard C. Shotwell, 41, of Wilkes-Barre, dies when a tree falls on his camper in Luzerne Country.
- Jason Dahms, 39, of Hellertown, dies in an accident in heavy rain on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Carbon County.
- Patricia O'Neill, 64, of East Norriton, is found dead in the Wissahickon Creek a half-mile from her car.
NEW JERSEY: 6
- Michael Kenwood, an emergency medical technician, dies after being knocked over by floodwaters in Princeton.
- Celena Sylvestri, 20, of Quinton, dies in flooded car in Pilesgrove.
- Ronald Dawkins, 47, dies after abandoning his partially submerged vehicle.
- Scott Palecek, 39, dies in Wanaque when pipe breaks and sweeps him away.
- Jorge Hernandez, 25, of Point Pleasant Beach, and another man are found dead in a Manasquan River inlet.
- Christopher Valentine, 25, of Hockessin, and Jean Baptista, 25, of Clark, N.J., die while running outside in Hockessin during the storm. Police don't suspect foul play.
- Charlotte Levine, 89, dies in Prospect after fallen power lines set house on fire.
- Shane Seaver, 46, dies in Bristol after canoe capsizes on flooded street.
- Frederick Fernandez, 55, dies after being tossed off surfboard off New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County.
- A man and woman found dead in a Raymond home where a generator had been running and high readings of carbon monoxide were in the air.
- Won Koo Sung, 48, dies at his Ellicott City home of carbon monoxide poisoning produced by generators.
- Anne Bell, 85, dies in Queen Anne's County when tree falls onto sunroom.
- Richard Gorgone, 52, is electrocuted by downed power lines in Southbridge.
NEW HAMPSHIRE: 1
- Man dies in Wolfeboro after tree falls on him.
NEW YORK: 9
- Stephen Terleckey, 72, dies after being swept into Schoharie Creek.
- Rozalia Gluck, 82, of Brooklyn, drowns in a cottage in Fleischmanns.
- A man in his 50s is electrocuted in Spring Valley while trying to help a child in a flooded street.
- Sharon Stein, 68, drowns in a creek in New Scotland while evacuating home.
- Joseph Rocco, 68, of East Islip, drowns while windsurfing in Bellport Bay.
- A man dies after his inflatable boat capsizes on the Croton River.
- Jose Sierra, 68, of the Bronx, dies after falling into a marina.
- Mikita Fox and Danine Swamp, 23, die in Altona after their vehicle plunges off a damaged bridge.
NORTH CAROLINA: 6
- Katherine Morales Cruz, 15, of Manassas Park, Va., dies in Goldsboro in a collision at intersection where power lights were knocked out.
- Ricky Webb, 63, of the Nashville area, dies after a tree limb falls on him.
- Tim Avery, 50, dies in Ayden after a tree falls on his home.
- Jose Manuel Farabia Corona, 21, of Dover, dies in a Pitt County traffic accident as Irene makes landfall.
- Sabrina Anne Jones, 26, of Clinton, dies in Sampson County when a tree falls on the car she's in.
- Melton Robinson Jr. dies after falling or jumping into the Cape Fear River.
- Michael Joseph Garofano, 55, a Rutland city worker, is found dead after checking on water supply in nearby Mendon.
- A woman is found dead in the Deerfield River in Wilmington after falling in while watching the flooding.
- A man is found dead in Lake Rescue in Ludlow.
- Zahir Robinson, 11, dies in Newport News when a tree falls on his home.
- James Blackwell, 67, of Brodnax, dies when a tree falls on a car in Brunswick County.
- A man dies at a Hopewell hospital after a tree falls on a house he's in.
- William P. Washington, 57, dies when a tree falls on him.
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: 4
- Salvador Nova Carvajal, 40, of El Tajon, in San Cristobal province, dies when his house is destroyed.
- Miguelina Perez, 18, of Sabana Toro in San Cristobal province, is swept away in the Yubazo River.
- Ramon Suarez SantamarDia, 35, a doctor with World Vision, drowns while helping a rescue team in San Cristobal.
- Jean Robert Lubin, 42, an immigrant from Haiti, is found dead in the ChavDon River in El Seibo.
- A woman, her daughter and unrelated man die trying to cross a swollen river outside Port-au-Paix.
PUERTO RICO: 1
- Zoraida Garcia Davila, 62, drowns in Carolina, east of San Juan, when her car is trapped by floodwaters.
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, pennsylvania, philadelphia, florida, bahamas, north carolina, local/state
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino 24 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 3 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 19 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 3 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
19 min ago