Irene brings transit troubles across the region
PHILADELPHIA - August 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- It was a very quiet day at 30th Street station.
Amtrak says it's not clear when service will return along the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Philadelphia.
By Monday afternoon, flood waters still remained on the tracks in Trenton. The tracks were submerged by water from the Assunpink Creek, which Hurricane Irene raised to record levels.
Amtrak spokeswoman Danelle Hunter says the rail line is also dealing with power issues in some areas. And crews were working to remove trees and other debris that got pushed on the tracks.
Amtrak isn't alone in their transit troubles, Hurricane Irene is to blame for many SEPTA service interruptions as well.
It was limited service and cancellations across the board for SEPTA's Regional Rail lines.
The storm flooded, left debris, and caused power outages along the Paoli/Thorndale, Cynwyd and Trenton lines.
Since all three lines run on Amtrak tracks, they must be checked before service can restart.
"In Trenton, there was a lot of flooding and downed lines so Amtrak has to access the situation and see if the water has receded yet," said Heather Redfern of SEPTA.
According to SEPTA, the Paoli/Thorndale and Cynwyd lines are scheduled to resume service Tuesday.
Amtrak is currently assessing the damage from Hurricane Irene. Once that process is complete, test trains must be sent out before operations are set to resume.
boston, pennsylvania, philadelphia, travel, amtrak, SEPTA, local/state, sarah bloomquist
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 17 min ago
- Temps Soar 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 13 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 15 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 5 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
11 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
5 min ago