Jersey Shore back in business after Irene
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - August 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- The boardwalks and beaches were alive Monday with sights and sounds of returning visitors after a weekend of mandatory evacuations.
Vacationers were back enjoying themselves and the sounds of children playing in the surf and sand returned to the barrier islands and bayside communities. It was in stark contrast to the silence of the last three days.
"We have a house down for three weeks and we here for the first week and we had to evacuate on Friday," Drew Dale of Doylestown, Pa. said.
"We were vacationing on the Outer Banks and we had to evacuate on Thursday&and once we got [to Ocean City], we had to evacuate here," Andrea Marinski said.
All along the shore, businesses were reopening hoping to salvage what's left of the summer season.
Stone Harbor's big sidewalk sale will be held on Labor Day weekend, but it may not be the same.
Wildwood's boardwalk and amusement piers were back in business today, but for many Irene cost them a lot of green.
"Those are three days you really can't get back, I spoke to a couple business others and when you think of the seasonal nature of it, those three days could account for 10% of their annual gross," Patrick Rosenello of the Wildwood Business District said.
Businesses may never make up for what they lost, but at least they were able to reopen without sustaining damage that would have kept them closed for a long time.
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, new jersey, jersey shore, local/state, cathy gandolfo
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 9 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 36 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 30 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 28 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 48 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
30 min ago