Phila. archdiocese's new leader readies for the job
Tuesday, September 06, 2011
PHILADELPHIA - September 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Cathedral Basilica of St. Peter and Paul will be the setting Thursday for the installation of Archbishop Charles Chaput as the 13th Bishop of Philadelphia."I'm delighted to be here. I look forward to getting to know the people of the church but also in the broader Philadelphia community," said Archbishop Chaput. The new Archbishop spoke with Action News Tuesday. He comes from Denver to Philadelphia during a very tumultuous time. Three current or former priests and a lay teacher face trial for sexual abuse of minors A monsignor is facing child endangerment charges for ignoring the alleged abuse. Nearly two dozen priests are under suspension as their cases are investigated. "For the sake of the community, but also the sake of individual priests, I think we should do as much as we can to speak publicly about it," said Archbishop Chaput. The Archbishop agrees that trust in the church can only be restored through transparency. "I think all of us would want the appropriate kind of privacy about issues in our ilives and I understand that. I also understand we have to do everything we can to protect children, and that means making decisions that are public sometimes," said Archbishop Chaput. He's been in town for little more than 24 hours and Archbishop Chaput is already facing his first Catholic high school teachers strike. He says he's never dealt with a teachers' union before. "I'll be very anxious to enter into discussions with the teachers. I think they are wonderful people, why else would they be teachers. They don't get paid very much especially in the catholic school system. I expect that we'll get along," said Archbishop Chaput. Archbishop Chaput will be the spiritual leader for 1.5 million Catholics in the five county area, a lot larger than his previous assignment in Denver. With the new city comes new issues to resolve, but Archbishop Chaput says he's up to the challenge.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
pennsylvania, philadelphia, philadelphia archdiocese, local/state, cathy gandolfo
- Firefighters rescue 3 children from Southwest Philadelphia house fire 32 min ago
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- North Philadephia man arrested for firing shots at police 11 min ago
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos