Floodwaters recede as problems linger in Ambler
AMBLER, Pa. - September 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Floodwaters were peacefully trickling back to whence they came Friday night, but the devastation they left behind in the small Montgomery County community was loud and clear.
On Orange Avenue in Ambler, all of the cars on the entire block were destroyed.
"There's 17 cars on this block the junkyards are going to have a field day with," flood victim Trina Chestnut said.
One home so far has been condemned.
The rest like Trina Chestnut's home are flooded out and literally falling apart.
Chestnut says everyone is wondering how they'll pay for the damage because no one has flood insurance.
Over on Maple Street, floodwaters caused a warehouse building to collapse sending water and debris to all of the homes across the street.
"Last time this area flooded, they were offered a low interest loan, but they're elderly, a lot of people are elderly, they cannot afford to take out a loan," Roz Smith of Norristown said.
Many people are putting their hopes on FEMA which declared the area a disaster.
But there's no telling when those federal dollars will be coming in.
Borough Manager Mary Aversa is advising people to be proactive until then.
"You take the stuff out of your house, you assess your damage, you make a list of everything, and then hopefully we will get funding; it could take a few months," Aversa said.
Officials say FEMA and the county are expected to be out in Ambler on Monday to survey the damage themselves.
pennsylvania, flooding, severe weather, montgomery county, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 38 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
38 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
41 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos