Bridge-jump stunt leads to charges
OCEAN CITY, N.J. - September 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities issued summonses to four men after a prank at the Ocean City-Longport Bridge led police to mount a water-rescue effort.
Authorities say a boat was waiting when two of the men jumped from the 65-foot-tall bridge early Monday.
A motorist who saw one of the men jump alerted a toll taker. Police spotted the boat heading to a sailboat and police boarded the vessel.
Police say 26-year-old Jason Kelly of Medford and 22-year-old Erick Pelkofsky of Springfield, Pa., jumped from the bridge. They, along with 24-year-old Justin Theno and 28-year-old Michael Rybas of Bensalem Pa., were charged with creating a false public alarm.
Ocean City police Lt. Steven Ang told The Press of Atlantic City police would have mounted a massive search had officers not spotted the boat.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City, http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com
ocean city, new jersey, local/state
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Ramsey speaks on police involved deadly shootings 11 min ago
- Baby, man injured in SEPTA bus accident
- Bus co. mistake disrupts kids' DC field trip 36 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Student and teacher shocked at Voorhees school
- 2 arrested for stealing tractor in Franklin Township
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping 1 min ago
- SEPTA announces fare hikes 32 min ago
- Man gets life in prison for murder of Pa. musician 9 min ago
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
1 min ago
- Bus co. mistake disrupts kids' DC field trip
36 min ago