Bridge-jump stunt leads to charges
OCEAN CITY, N.J. - September 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities issued summonses to four men after a prank at the Ocean City-Longport Bridge led police to mount a water-rescue effort.
Authorities say a boat was waiting when two of the men jumped from the 65-foot-tall bridge early Monday.
A motorist who saw one of the men jump alerted a toll taker. Police spotted the boat heading to a sailboat and police boarded the vessel.
Police say 26-year-old Jason Kelly of Medford and 22-year-old Erick Pelkofsky of Springfield, Pa., jumped from the bridge. They, along with 24-year-old Justin Theno and 28-year-old Michael Rybas of Bensalem Pa., were charged with creating a false public alarm.
Ocean City police Lt. Steven Ang told The Press of Atlantic City police would have mounted a massive search had officers not spotted the boat.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City, http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com
ocean city, new jersey, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 27 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
48 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
27 min ago