Bridge-jump stunt leads to charges
OCEAN CITY, N.J. - September 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities issued summonses to four men after a prank at the Ocean City-Longport Bridge led police to mount a water-rescue effort.
Authorities say a boat was waiting when two of the men jumped from the 65-foot-tall bridge early Monday.
A motorist who saw one of the men jump alerted a toll taker. Police spotted the boat heading to a sailboat and police boarded the vessel.
Police say 26-year-old Jason Kelly of Medford and 22-year-old Erick Pelkofsky of Springfield, Pa., jumped from the bridge. They, along with 24-year-old Justin Theno and 28-year-old Michael Rybas of Bensalem Pa., were charged with creating a false public alarm.
Ocean City police Lt. Steven Ang told The Press of Atlantic City police would have mounted a massive search had officers not spotted the boat.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City, http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com
ocean city, new jersey, local/state
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer 11 min ago
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In 8 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co. 40 min ago
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault 1 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
11 min ago
- Real estate scam sidelines beach goers in...
13 min ago
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
8 min ago