Pa. man zapped by police with stun gun loses eye
MEADVILLE, Pa. - September 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- A western Pennsylvania man lost his eye after being zapped by a police officer with a stun gun, his attorney said Friday, but police denied the officer was at fault.
Meadville police Chief David Stefanucci said Michael Mondo, 52, was causing a disturbance downtown on Aug. 23. Stefanucci told The Associated Press earlier this week that police had no written reports on the incident. Mondo was charged by police Wednesday with disorderly conduct engaged in fighting.
Crawford County District Attorney Francis Schultz said he was aware of the incident but hadn't seen any details. He said Mondo hasn't filed a complaint. Schultz said he will be working with the police department to review the case.
Terry Toomey, who is representing Mondo, told the AP he was still seeking answers about what happened.
"Our own investigation still leaves us wondering why the officer thought he needed to fire. And secondly if he did, why it struck this guy in the eye," Toomey said.
Toomey said the eye was impaled on the stun gun's dart and several unsuccessful surgeries were made to fix it. He said his client was having a schizophrenic episode at the time but wasn't violent or a threat.
Stefanucci said he's completed a review and feels veteran Officer Glen Peterson didn't violate any policies. The police chief didn't provide details of how the review was conducted or release a report on the incident.
"Definitely it was an accident. A very unfortunate accident," Stefanucci said.
A woman who answered the phone at Mondo's home declined to comment. She referred questions to Toomey.
A search of public records found that Mondo has a number of previous arrests for public drunkenness.
pennsylvania, stun gun, taser, police, local/state
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 15 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos 11 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in...
11 min ago
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
15 min ago