Thomas Capano found dead in Delaware prison cell
SMYRNA, Del. - September 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Thomas Capano, who was convicted in 1999 of the 1996 murder of Anne Marie Fahey, was found dead in his jail cell on Monday of an apparent heart attack. He was 61.
Capano's family confirmed his death to Action News, saying that he had a history of heart problems.
Capano was the politically connected attorney who was convicted of killing his mistress, 30-year-old Anne Marie Fahey. Fahey was the scheduling secretary to then-Gov. Tom Carper.Just before she disappeared she was dating Capano, a local power broker and an influential lawyer.
At trial, prosecutors convinced a jury that Capano shot Fahey in a jealous rage because she wanted to end their affair, and that he tried to cover up his crime by dumping her body in the ocean with help from his brother.
Capano was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison with almost no hope of parole.Capano's brother-in-law says he could never believe it was pre-meditated. "Obviously he had some involvement with it but he was just not the kind of person to commit pre-meditated murder. There was no reason for it," said Lee Ramunno. His brother-in-law also said Capano had recently suffered two minor heart attacks but so far, there's no official cause of death.
Action News reached Anne Marie Fahey's brother Robert at his office today in Wayne. He says the family is not talking on camera but he did give a statement over the phone regarding the family's reaction:
"The immediate reaction is that every religion that our family knows requires atonement for one's sins and since he never apologized or admitted any level of guilt, our opinion is that at some time today he went straight to hell and that's where he belongs."
Capano had spent time on death row before his death sentence was overturned.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
delaware, homicide, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 31 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 50 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete 33 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 13 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
3 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
13 min ago