FBI agents raid home of traffic court judge
Thursday, September 22, 2011
PHILADELPHIA - September 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned that another Philadelphia traffic court judge is the subject of a federal probe.Sources tell Action News that FBI agents raided the Spring Garden offices of Traffic Court Judge Michael Sullivan Thursday. They say the probe centers around whether Judge Sullivan helped steer work and took care of traffic tickets for cash. Agents raided Sullivan's home and his family's bar, the Fireside Tavern as well. They also confiscated items from the Cannonball Tavern but its unclear how Judge Sullivan is connected to that establishment. A spokesman for the FBI would only confirm they were at those locations but had no comment regarding other details. This is not the first time federal agents have been interested in the records of a traffic court judge in Philadelphia. Last summer, agents raided the home of Judge Robert Mulgrew. Since then he has not been charged with a crime and he remains on the bench. Sources say the two cases are not directly related but are part of an expanding political corruption investigation. Federal agents have also raided the home of retired Traffic Court Chief, Fortunato Perri Sr. Attempts to reach the judges have been unsuccessful .but a spokesperson for the first Judicial District released the following statement: "The FJD is aware of the FBI's interest today in the operations of Philadelphia Traffic Court. Officials of the FJD and Traffic Court are cooperating with federal authorities in this matter. There is no other information available at this time." Judge Sullivan has retained legal counsel from the high profile Center City law firm Ballard Spahr. No word on any charges being filed at this time.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
pennsylvania, philadelphia, fbi, local/state, chad pradelli
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 30 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 59 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 51 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 15 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
15 min ago
6abc.com News Links