Rains bedevil already flood-stricken areas of Pa.
PHILADELPHIA - September 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania residents are once again cleaning up after heavy downpours on already rain-soaked ground flooded parts of central and eastern areas of the commonwealth, triggering road closures and prompting some rescues.
Meteorologist Craig Evanego of the National Weather Service office in State College says areas east of the Susquehanna River got 1 to 3 inches of rain, with the heaviest rain reported in Adams and Schuylkill counties.
"One to three inches wouldn't ordinarily cause a whole lot of problems, but it came down pretty quickly and the ground is close to saturated," he said Saturday.
In Lancaster County, emergency crews rescued a man clinging to a tree branch after being swept away in rain-swollen Holloway's Creek in Fulton Township late Friday night, the (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era reported. He was treated at a local hospital and released. Evanego said residents were also rescued from a house surrounded by water in the township.
In Luzerne County's Pittston Township, the driver of a tractor-trailer had to be rescued after he passed warning signs and his rig became submerged in six feet of water, The (Wilkes-Barre) Citizen's Voice said. The West Pittston riverfront community inundated by Tropical Storm Lee got a scare when storm drains backed up and water crept into the yards of homes under repair, but public works crews helped to resolve the problems and the water receded.
Widespread road closures were reported in Adams County, and flooding in a Gettysburg apartment building sent residents to seek shelter at a nearby fire hall, The Evening Sun of Hanover reported.
Much of central and eastern Pennsylvania has been trying to recover from record flooding from Tropical Storm Lee that damaged thousands of homes and businesses as the raging Susquehanna River overflowed its banks in communities including Bloomsburg, West Pittston and Harrisburg.
pennsylvania, flooding, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 51 min ago
- Breezy And Mild! 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected 5 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
51 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
8 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos