Golfer recovering after being hit by lightning
WOOLWICH, TWP., N.J. - September 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A golfer is recovering after being struck by lightning at a Gloucester County golf course.
It happened on Tuesday afternoon in Woolwich Township, New Jersey.
The victim, 55-year-old Steve Nieves, was playing at the Beckett Golf Course when the storms rolled through.
According to Nieves' wife the lightning struck his golf umbrella, entered his left shoulder, travelled through his body and exited his feet. He was rushed to Crozer Chester Hospital to be treated for burns.
His heart was also closely examined but, in a phone conversation with Action News, he said he is okay and expects to be released soon.
new jersey, gloucester county, lightning, local/state
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire
- Winds Ease Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 17 min ago
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests