NJ man gets lifetime parole under Megan's Law
PATERSON, N.J. - September 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- A judge has sentenced a 72-year-old New Jersey man to lifetime parole for having sexual contact with three children.
Jesus Lopez must register under Megan's Law and can't have contact with anyone under 18.
Lopez originally was charged with three counts of sexual assault and could have faced more than 10 years in prison if convicted. However, Lopez pleaded guilty on May 12 to one count of endangering the welfare of children by engaging in sexual conduct.
Lopez admitted having the children touch his genital area with their feet while he was clothed over a five-year period.
The Record newspaper reports prosecutors believe the plea agreement was the best possible outcome because the children's psychological issues might have created credibility issues at trial.
Information from: The Record, http://www.northjersey.com
new jersey, megans law, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 46 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 25 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 25 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 40 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases