State Police: Man carjacks auto with 2 kids inside
HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. - October 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- State police say a New Jersey man carjacked a vehicle with two children inside, then later abandoned it and stole a sport utility vehicle before leading officers on a high-speed chase through several counties.
Charges were pending Saturday against 20-year-old Justin Mercer of Princeton, who was injured when the SUV crashed on Interstate 280 in West Orange late Saturday morning.
The incident began on Interstate 80 in Warren County, when the children's mother stopped to help Mercer, who had been involved in an auto accident. Authorities say he took the woman's Lexus, but soon dropped the children off unharmed at a Hackettstown bank before allegedly stealing the SUV.
Details on Mercer's injuries were not disclosed, and it wasn't known if he had retained a lawyer.
new jersey, carjacking, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
29 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
16 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
13 min ago