Police: Pa. couple locked boy, 7, in coffin
SCRANTON, Pa. - October 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- A northeastern Pennsylvania couple accused of making a 7-year-old boy sleep in a coffin have been arraigned on endangerment and unlawful restraint charges.
The diaper-clad boy was found crying in the basement of a home. He says he was bound with tape.
His mother, 26-year-old Lori Gardner, and stepfather, 31-year-old Brian Sleboda, were ordered taken to Lackawanna County Prison on Tuesday in lieu of $60,000 bail each. The (Scranton) Times-Tribune (http://bit.ly/qRP9Me) says the two said nothing as they were escorted out of the Scranton police headquarters.
Neighbors heard the boy crying last week and called police. Officials say the bug-infested home has been condemned.
Authorities say in a criminal complaint the child told officers he often was locked in the basement and told there were ghosts there.
Information from: The Times-Tribune, http://thetimes-tribune.com/
pennsylvania, scranton, child abuse, local/state
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 17 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 29 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 58 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
39 min ago