Mother, 19-month-old son found, Amber Alert canceled
PHILADELPHIA - October 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania State Police have canceled an Amber Alert after locating a 19-month-old boy and his mother.
Police say 34-year-old Natia Dandy and her son Kanief of Philadelphia were found unharmed at a train station in Lancaster.
It is not clear where Dandy was heading.
Kanief will be turned over to DHS. Natia will have to answer to Philadelphia police.
An Amber Alert was issued Thursday afternoon after police say Kanief was abducted by his mother.
Police say Natia was at DHS on a scheduled supervised visit when she fled the building with her son.
The DHS tells Action News there was 'good reason' for Kanief to be removed from his mother's care.
Action News has learned that Natia Dandy has a history of mental illness and was thrown out of a homeless shelter earlier this week for violent behavior.
amber alert, pennsylvania, philadelphia, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 6 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 29 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police