Husband and wife killed in NJ limo crash ID'd
BORDENTOWN, N.J. - October 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A husband and wife were killed when the limousine they were riding in hit a tractor trailer early Tuesday morning in Bordentown, N.J.
The crash happened around 4:45 a.m. on Route 130 between Ward Avenue and Highbridge Road.
Neighbors tell Action News that Monroe and Mireille Danbury were on their way to Saint Martin to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary.
Known as Dan and Marie, they packed their bags in the limo and headed for an airport earlier in the morning.
During the drive, police say the limo slammed into a flatbed tractor trailer - carrying bulldozers - that was attempting to make a turn into a construction site.
The truck was stretched across both lanes of traffic.
Police say both the Danburys were wearing seatbelts.
"These collisions, they're very forceful and can affect people differently," said Lt. Brian Pesce of the Bordentown Township Police. "Unfortunately these victims were a little bit older and they had sustained some very, very serious injuries."
The tractor trailer driver has told investigators he was trying to back away from a locked gate at a contruction site so he could pull over to the side of the road.
Mirielle Danbury died at the scene.
Monroe Danbury was taken to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in Hamilton in critical condition and later transported to Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton for emergency surgery, where he later died.
The limo driver was also taken to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital with serious injuries.
The tractor trailer driver was not seriously hurt.
Meanwhile, neighbors were remembering the Danburys as a kind, active couple who loved to help care for their two granddaughters.
"They just got the pool for the kids to come over. He was always outside doing something with them, come over and talk to our kids," said John Derezze. "Great people."
An investigation into this crash continues.
"We are investigating the culpability of the tractor trailer driver...It's a dimly lit area and we're investiagting whether it was properly outfitted with the necessary amount of lights and stickers," Lt. Pesce said.
new jersey, accident, burlington county, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 57 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 47 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 55 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
57 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
55 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
47 min ago