North Phila. Catholic school becomes independent
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - October 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Catholic school in North Philadelphia is beginning a new chapter in its history, choosing to go it alone without the financial support of the archdiocese.
Students from St. Martin de Porres School in North Philadelphia sang loud with enthusiasm today as their principal signed an agreement with the archdiocese and business leaders to become an independent Catholic school.
From now on, finances and fundraising will be handled by the friends of St. Martin de Porres, an 18 member board.
"When I bring people to this school, if I am fundraising, the stereotype goes right out of the window of what they consider an inner city child to be. As soon as they see it, they support us," Board Chairman Jack Donnelly said.
"We now are up from 380 to 400. I think when the parents hear about the programs and the commitment of the board and see tangibly what we are accomplishing, they're with a winner," Sister Nancy Fitzgerald, Principal of St. Martin De Porres, said.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia will still provide curriculum and other cost saving measures, but the independent board will run the school. It is a new idea for parish schools here and may serve as a model for other struggling Catholic schools especially in the inner city.
"To generate that kind of enthusiasm and interest in other parishes would be a wonderful development for the church," Bishop Timothy Senior of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia said.
Only 10 percent of the students are Catholic and most get assistance to help with the $2,400 tuition. But everyone seems to agree the facility is a beacon in a rough North Philadelphia neighborhood.
"They really work hard to make us feel welcomed and this is our home so that's why I really respect and love this school very much," student Danielle Clark said.
The St. Martin de Porres family is proud that it hasn't had to raise tuition in 3 years. It has, however, raised standardized test scores.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia archdiocese, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 8 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 14 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 13 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 20 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos