Retired NJ cop, HIV-positive, faces sex charges
NORTH PLAINFIELD, N.J. - October 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities have accused a retired northern New Jersey police captain of having sex with two women without telling them that he's HIV-positive.
Sixty-four-year-old Charles Martina is held on $50,000 bail, charged with two counts of a diseased person committing an act of sexual penetration.
HIV is the virus that causes AIDS.
It's not clear whether the women contracted the virus.
Somerset County Prosecutor Geoffrey Soriano is asking anyone who had sex with Martina within the last ten years to seek a medical evaluation and contract the prosecutor's office.
Martina retired from the Plainfield Police Department as head of the narcotics and vice bureau in 2000.
new jersey, sex, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 44 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq. 39 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton 48 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
30 min ago
- David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
39 min ago
- Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
48 min ago