Retired NJ cop, HIV-positive, faces sex charges
NORTH PLAINFIELD, N.J. - October 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities have accused a retired northern New Jersey police captain of having sex with two women without telling them that he's HIV-positive.
Sixty-four-year-old Charles Martina is held on $50,000 bail, charged with two counts of a diseased person committing an act of sexual penetration.
HIV is the virus that causes AIDS.
It's not clear whether the women contracted the virus.
Somerset County Prosecutor Geoffrey Soriano is asking anyone who had sex with Martina within the last ten years to seek a medical evaluation and contract the prosecutor's office.
Martina retired from the Plainfield Police Department as head of the narcotics and vice bureau in 2000.
new jersey, sex, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
30 min ago