What's on tap at Frankford Hall?
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - October 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- From Italian to Spanish to Israeli, Philadelphia has no shortage of great Southern European food, but what about Northern Europe?
Leave it to Philly restaurant guru Stephen Starr to see and remedy the shortage!
Starr just opened Frankford Hall, a German-style restaurant and beer garden in Fishtown.
It features mostly-German beers on tap and a menu that could satisfy diners from here to Bavaria. There are nine taps with a rotating selection of brews. Seven are from Germany. The others are German-style domestics.
The bar also produces beer-based cocktails. And there's a big selection of schnapps.
The kitchen serves up a menu that changes seasonally, but anchored by the sort of food you'd expect at a beer bar year-round.
Wursts are produced by Ilg's, a Bucks County farm specializing in German-style sausages.
The kitchen fresh-bakes huge soft pretzels to order. Of course, sauerkraut abounds.
Frankford hall seats up to 400 guests, mostly outdoors. And they plan to operate indoors and out year-round. To make that work, a network of high-tech lights and heaters has been installed.
Some sit next to the picnic-style tables. Overhead, the dining area is ringed with more heaters which blow warm air out over the patrons.
Frankford Hall is open weekdays at 4:00pm and Saturdays and Sundays at 12:00 Noon. For more information, visit their website, Frankford Hall or phone 215-634-3338.
fishtown, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 1 min ago
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 48 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos