What's on tap at Frankford Hall?
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - October 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- From Italian to Spanish to Israeli, Philadelphia has no shortage of great Southern European food, but what about Northern Europe?
Leave it to Philly restaurant guru Stephen Starr to see and remedy the shortage!
Starr just opened Frankford Hall, a German-style restaurant and beer garden in Fishtown.
It features mostly-German beers on tap and a menu that could satisfy diners from here to Bavaria. There are nine taps with a rotating selection of brews. Seven are from Germany. The others are German-style domestics.
The bar also produces beer-based cocktails. And there's a big selection of schnapps.
The kitchen serves up a menu that changes seasonally, but anchored by the sort of food you'd expect at a beer bar year-round.
Wursts are produced by Ilg's, a Bucks County farm specializing in German-style sausages.
The kitchen fresh-bakes huge soft pretzels to order. Of course, sauerkraut abounds.
Frankford hall seats up to 400 guests, mostly outdoors. And they plan to operate indoors and out year-round. To make that work, a network of high-tech lights and heaters has been installed.
Some sit next to the picnic-style tables. Overhead, the dining area is ringed with more heaters which blow warm air out over the patrons.
Frankford Hall is open weekdays at 4:00pm and Saturdays and Sundays at 12:00 Noon. For more information, visit their website, Frankford Hall or phone 215-634-3338.
fishtown, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 36 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
8 min ago