Another lawsuit alleges abuse by Philly priest
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 19, 2011 -- A Philadelphia man alleges in a lawsuit that a priest in the archdiocese of Philadelphia sexually abused him 15 years ago.
Attorneys for the unnamed plaintiff say their client was abused for three years beginning in 1996 while an altar boy at Incarnation of Our Lord Parish in north Philadelphia.
The suit names Father William Ayres, who the attorneys say was at a Wynnewood seminary at the time and was sent to Incarnation as a priest after he was ordained in 1999. The archdiocese and other top officials also are named.
Attorneys say that when the plaintiff reported the abuse to the current parish pastor, he was told that Ayres "was already under investigation and there had been reports filed before the plaintiff's abuse had occurred."
The suit alleges sex abuse, conspiracy and negligence on the part of church officials and seeks more than $50,000.
The Philadelphia Inquirer says the suit is at least the ninth filed by an alleged victim of clergy abuse since February, when four current and former priests were arrested and a grand jury report criticized the handling of abuse complaints.
Ayres, who was removed from active ministry in November, did not return a call seeking comment Wednesday. Archdiocese spokesman Kenneth Gavin declined comment.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, child abuse, sex assault, sex offenders, child sex assault, church abuse, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 18 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 9 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Florida Rep. Radel returns from rehab
51 min ago