Fatal industrial accident at Camden auto repair shop
CAMDEN, N.J. - October 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a fatal industrial accident at a tire and auto repair shop in Camden, New Jersey.
Camden Police were called out to 5 Points Tire and Auto Repair at the intersection of 27th and River Road around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday for a report of an industrial accident.
Investigators say the worker was trying to cut a chain with a high-powered grinding wheel when, apparently, the wheel came loose and the blade shot into his chest.
He was taken to Cooper University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Friends and relatives were arriving at the garage all afternoon, some weeping and openly embracing. No one would talk on-camera, but off-camera say the man was a 33-year-old father of three.
As one person put it, the victim was "just a hard-working guy trying to provide for his family in a city where too many young men are involved in guns and drugs - and he had to die like this."
The name of the victim has not been released.
OSHA is investigating this accident. No one from OSHA would respond to phone calls from Action News.
industrial accident, camden county, camden, new jersey, local/state
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road 42 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 23 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 32 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft 25 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Charges filed in alleged chop shop raid in N. Phila. 26 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
42 min ago
- Police question suspect in Christmas...
25 min ago