Fatal industrial accident at Camden auto repair shop
CAMDEN, N.J. - October 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a fatal industrial accident at a tire and auto repair shop in Camden, New Jersey.
Camden Police were called out to 5 Points Tire and Auto Repair at the intersection of 27th and River Road around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday for a report of an industrial accident.
Investigators say the worker was trying to cut a chain with a high-powered grinding wheel when, apparently, the wheel came loose and the blade shot into his chest.
He was taken to Cooper University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Friends and relatives were arriving at the garage all afternoon, some weeping and openly embracing. No one would talk on-camera, but off-camera say the man was a 33-year-old father of three.
As one person put it, the victim was "just a hard-working guy trying to provide for his family in a city where too many young men are involved in guns and drugs - and he had to die like this."
The name of the victim has not been released.
OSHA is investigating this accident. No one from OSHA would respond to phone calls from Action News.
industrial accident, camden county, camden, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 34 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 1 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
1 min ago