$10,000 reward in PECO substation incidents
HOLMESBURG - October 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- The ATF has announced a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever was behind two suspicious incidents at a PECO substation in the Holmesburg section of Philadelphia.
Early Tuesday morning, someone cut a hole in the fence, poured gasoline onto a transformer and set it on fire.
The fire was discovered, and extinguished, before it caused any major damage.
One week ago, someone put a gas can - with wires attached - near a transformer. Police set up a perimeter around the facility but, before the bomb squad arrived, someone removed the gas can and disappeared through a hole in the fence.
The joint terror task force is now investigating because this is critical infrastructure. For example, on August 25th, a fire at this substation knocked out power to 20,000 PECO customers in Holmesburg, Mayfair and Tacony.
The terror task force is composed of the FBI, ATF and the Philadelphia Police.
At this point, investigators don't know what is instigating the arsonist. They haven't ruled out terrorism, but sources say that possibility is 'unlikely.'
Another theory - the substation is being targeted by a disgruntled current or former employee.
PECO is also worried about trespassers on its property. The substation is a high voltage area and anyone breaking in is taking a serious risk.
Anyone with information in this case is asked to contact the ATF at 1-888-ATF-FIRE.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, holmesburg, PECO, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 35 min ago
- Wet to Wintry 7 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela 48 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 16 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News 28 min ago
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home 26 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Police raid alleged chop shop in South Philadelphia 27 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
35 min ago
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen...
26 min ago