Canceled toy run may see a miracle
UNIVERSITY CITY - October 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- It seemed almost certain that the scene of motorcycle riders dropping off loads of toys to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia wasn't going to happen this year.
But Congressman Bob Brady said not so fast.
"It's a tradition in the city of Philadelphia for 30 years. It's a great publicity shot and it warms of the life of a little child," Brady said.
On Wednesday night, Action News reported that CHOP told the Delaware Valley chapter of A.B.A.T.E. last year it wouldn't be able to have the annual toy run again.
The hospital said traffic congestion and toy storage became overwhelming.
Today, Action News viewers posted one upset comment after another and the congressman called Mayor Michael Nutter to work out the traffic issue.
"And we will figure out that logistics and make sure that it happens and it will happen," Brady said.
Congressman Brady's office will submit a plan to the city tomorrow that they hope will get that toy run back on track.
As for the toys, whatever CHOP doesn't have room for can be donated to Drexel University's holiday toy drive which provides gifts to the city's needy children.
"As long as the logistic issues can be taken care of and CHOP can continue to provide the medical care it needs to provide for the children, we're all in favor of having the event go forward, and that's been our position from the beginning," George Bochanski of CHOP said.
Delaware Valley A.B.A.T.E. is thrilled and says it was too late to stop ads which will come out tomorrow in publications notifying people the toy run was canceled.
The group says if the November 6th event is back on it will spread the word.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, university city, holidays, toys, motorcycles, local/state, kenneth moton
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 9 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 28 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos