Canceled toy run may see a miracle
UNIVERSITY CITY - October 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- It seemed almost certain that the scene of motorcycle riders dropping off loads of toys to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia wasn't going to happen this year.
But Congressman Bob Brady said not so fast.
"It's a tradition in the city of Philadelphia for 30 years. It's a great publicity shot and it warms of the life of a little child," Brady said.
On Wednesday night, Action News reported that CHOP told the Delaware Valley chapter of A.B.A.T.E. last year it wouldn't be able to have the annual toy run again.
The hospital said traffic congestion and toy storage became overwhelming.
Today, Action News viewers posted one upset comment after another and the congressman called Mayor Michael Nutter to work out the traffic issue.
"And we will figure out that logistics and make sure that it happens and it will happen," Brady said.
Congressman Brady's office will submit a plan to the city tomorrow that they hope will get that toy run back on track.
As for the toys, whatever CHOP doesn't have room for can be donated to Drexel University's holiday toy drive which provides gifts to the city's needy children.
"As long as the logistic issues can be taken care of and CHOP can continue to provide the medical care it needs to provide for the children, we're all in favor of having the event go forward, and that's been our position from the beginning," George Bochanski of CHOP said.
Delaware Valley A.B.A.T.E. is thrilled and says it was too late to stop ads which will come out tomorrow in publications notifying people the toy run was canceled.
The group says if the November 6th event is back on it will spread the word.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, university city, holidays, toys, motorcycles, local/state, kenneth moton
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 29 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 4 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- No charges for 8 NJ wrestlers in lynching photo 51 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 25 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
29 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
4 min ago