Local fan among DWTS costume finalists
DRESHER, Pa. - November 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- On 'Dancing With the Stars' tonight you may have noticed a costume design contest. It turns out a local young woman is among the finalists.
Action News caught up with her at the Walnut Street Theatre today, where she's helping create outfits for the "King and I."
It's 'Dancing with the Star's Macy's Design a Dance' Contest and it was Amanda Wolff's mother who convinced her to enter it.
"I've always loved the show, especially the costumes," Amanda said.
22-year-old Amanda loves the costumes and loves to sew; her mom taught her at an early age.
"In high school I was making my own clothes, they weren't that great, but I was making my own stuff," Amanda said.
She honed her sewing skills at the Mason Gross Design School at Rutgers and landed an apprenticeship at the Walnut Street Theatre after she graduated in May.
She found 'The Dancing With the Stars' contest online, but thought she was too busy to participate.
"And my mom was like 'go ahead, enter, do a drawing,'" Amanda said.
So Amanda gave in and went to work.
"Online, I posted it, it had to be for the Paso Doble, that was the style of dance, and the song was Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance,'" Amanda said.
First, she researched the dance and the singer.
Then reviewed which costumes had previously worked on the show and which ones hadn't and then began her designs.
"I thought it had to be fun, a little edgy. I did renderings for it maybe two weeks ago. It was a male and female dancer and I turned it in and they called like a week ago," Amanda said.
You'll see Amanda's costume work in the "King and I" when it opens next Tuesday at the Walnut Street Theater.
Online voting ends Thursday at midnight.
Click here to vote for Amanda.
pennsylvania, dancing with the stars, montgomery county, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 54 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases 10 min ago
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire