New ramps a welcome link to motorists
KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. - November 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- They opened a new ramp from westbound I-76 to the very important South Gulph and South Henderson Roads in King of Prussia, Upper Merion Township.
It was a welcome link to some very busy roadways.
The ribbon was cut on the new expressway interchange that's been nearly a quarter of a century in the making.
The new off-ramp from Interstate 76 West to the intersection of South Henderson and South Gulph Roads in Upper Merion, coupled with the new on-ramp to 76-West from the busy intersection will help relieve traffic congestion at the nearby Gulph Mills interchange and at Route 202.
Motorists who travel that route daily are saying "Bravo!"
"I hope it works out because it's just been a mess around here," says Justin Williams. "Anything that they can do to free up traffic helps."
"I'm sure these ramps will provide a benefit to the King of Prussia area and Montgomery County far into the future," said George Dunheimer.
The plan for the interchange was conceived back in 1988 as the western suburbs expanded, but it took federal funds from the Obama stimulus plan to finance the actual construction on the route that sees nearly 48,000 vehicles per day.
The new off ramp is expected to serve 4,600 vehicles a day, the on-ramp to 76-West, nearly 7,000 per day.
"$10.5 million from the stimulus package, the much maligned federal stimulus package that people have been happy to complain about it and criticize," says Montgomery County Commissioner, Joe Hoeffel.
"It's perfect," says Porfirio Idurbide.
The new ramp is expected to play well as the holiday season gears up, and should ease some of the log jam that gathers around the King of Prussia Mall that begins the day after Thanksgiving.
montgomery county, travel, local/state, vernon odom
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 2 min ago
- Soupy Situation 20 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire 41 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying 39 min ago
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept. 24 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr 19 min ago
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
2 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
41 min ago
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's...
39 min ago
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for...
19 min ago