Annual toy run kicks off holiday season
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - November 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- In what seems like a holiday miracle, the Delaware Valley A.B.A.T.E. Annual Toy Run kicked off Sunday with a few additions.
To the surprise of many, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia originally pulled the plug on the massive biker toy drive earlier this year.
Officials at CHOP said they didn't have the resources to handle so many bikers and their thousands of gifts at the hospital.
Organizer Denny Waldman explained the bikers were saddened by the cancelation, because it had helped so many sick children in the past.
"That answer resonated with a lot of people who felt this was an important part of our city's heritage at this point," said Waldman.
Congressman Bob Brady stepped in and helped broker a deal to ensure that the 31st annual ride is on.
In a change of pace for this year's toy run, the masses of bikers will ride to Citizens Bank Park and from there a small symbolic contingent will continue the ride to CHOP.
"It is a beautiful thing period, coming out for kids who are helpless," said John Jimenez.
"It is nice to see burly men and women in their leathers with a soft spot bringing in toys for children," said Sandy Brown.
The toy ride is sponsored by the Alliance of Bikers Aimed Toward Education., which started in 1980 to help soften the bad boy image of bikers. It has since become a tradition.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, northern liberties, holidays, toys, motorcycles, childrens hospital of philadelphia, philadelphia phillies, citizens bank park, local/state, john rawlins
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 48 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 20 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 48 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 40 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing 48 min ago
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 48 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Brush fire destroys 25 acres in Burlington Co. 25 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
48 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
48 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
48 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody!
40 min ago