11-11-11 a special day for many
November 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- It is 11-11-11 on the calendar, and a lot of folks seem to be taking advantage of the memorable date.1
1-11-11 is a date that happens just once every 100 years and a day that prompts couples all over the world to get married for lots of reasons.
"You want to know why? So I could remember," said Omar McAfee. "You can't forget 11-11-11."
"We've been together for 11 years so 11-11-11, we just thought it was time," said Rebecca Kaya.
"I won't' forget it, either because it's the day after my mother and father's anniversary," said Derek Crete.
"It's kind of like getting married on Christmas, you know? You never forget it, and I know they will never forget because if they forget them, they forget my anniversary as well," said Janice Crete.
With courthouses closed on Friday, Burlington County Clerk Tim Tyler made special arrangements to marry couples on this special date at Lyceum Hall in Burlington.
"We normally do most of our ceremonies in the office but 11-11-11 only comes around once in a lifetime," said Tyler.
"It's a fun date," said Karla Black. "It's just something we thought it would be fun to be part of."
This date has special meaning for this same sex couple who had their civil union at 11:11 on the dot.
"Every day we make a wish at 11:11am in the morning, and at night together as one," said Kashaunah Thompson.
In Lumberton, there were birthday wishes as friends and family serenaded Payton Cole who's turning 11 on this unusual date.
"We're not big into numbers, so it's very, very odd," said Jeff Cole. "But it's pretty amazing, I think."
Of course people live a lot longer these days, but there's no guarantee that Payton will be around 100 years from now for the next 11-11-11, but Payton says she hopes so.
"Hopefully, she'll be around," said Payton's mother Stacy Cole. "I don't think we'll see it, but maybe her great, great grandchildren can celebrate with her."
Whether it's blowing out the candles on a birthday cake or taking a new bride, this truly is a date these families will remember.
weddings, veterans, new jersey, local/state, nora muchanic
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish