Driver dies after car plunges into NJ lake
COLLINGSWOOD, N.J. - December 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 21-year-old man was pronounced dead after his car was found in a lake in Collingswood, New Jersey on Wednesday morning.
The car was found in the Newton Lake on the 500 block of Newton Lake Drive on Wednesday morning.
Employees from a nearby county facility came to work around 7:45 a.m. and noticed a light pole had been knocked down. Later, park workers came to check it out and noticed a vehicle in the water almost entirely submerged - just the top of the car was exposed.
That man was transported to Cooper University Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The family has requested his name not be released.
Police say the vehicle drove through a split rail fence in a parking lot, went down a small hill and travelled about 80 yards, knocking down that light pole and hitting a park bench before going into the water.
There were no witnesses.
Some of the man's friends came to the scene on Wednesday afternoon. They say he was a senior at Rutgers-Camden majoring in business. He was part of a tight-knit group of friends who enjoyed summers at the shore.
Police are working to figure out how the car ended up in the lake. They are trying to determine if the driver had a medical condition or lost consciousness for some reason. They are also working to determine whether there was a mechanical problem with the vehicle.
water rescue, new jersey, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 38 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 11 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 36 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 41 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 9 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more