Heavy rain causes partial basement collapse
DEPTFORD, NEW JERSEY - December 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Investigators are blaming heavy rain for the partial cave-in of a basement in a South Jersey home.
A section of the basement wall collapsed at about 4:00 a.m., on Thursday, at a home on the 700 block of Wills Avenue in Deptford, Gloucester County.
Crews have spent much of Thursday morning trying to prevent the house, itself, from collapsing.
Investigators say pressure from the rain caused the wall to crack and compromised the entire house.
Officials have deemed the house unsafe to live in.
The Red Cross is finding temporary shelter for the family of four.
The incident did not cause any injuries.
new jersey, gloucester county, collapse, local/state
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing 43 min ago
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage 6 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ