Heavy rain causes partial basement collapse
DEPTFORD, NEW JERSEY - December 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Investigators are blaming heavy rain for the partial cave-in of a basement in a South Jersey home.
A section of the basement wall collapsed at about 4:00 a.m., on Thursday, at a home on the 700 block of Wills Avenue in Deptford, Gloucester County.
Crews have spent much of Thursday morning trying to prevent the house, itself, from collapsing.
Investigators say pressure from the rain caused the wall to crack and compromised the entire house.
Officials have deemed the house unsafe to live in.
The Red Cross is finding temporary shelter for the family of four.
The incident did not cause any injuries.
new jersey, gloucester county, collapse, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 1 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
1 min ago