Heavy rain causes partial basement collapse
DEPTFORD, NEW JERSEY - December 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Investigators are blaming heavy rain for the partial cave-in of a basement in a South Jersey home.
A section of the basement wall collapsed at about 4:00 a.m., on Thursday, at a home on the 700 block of Wills Avenue in Deptford, Gloucester County.
Crews have spent much of Thursday morning trying to prevent the house, itself, from collapsing.
Investigators say pressure from the rain caused the wall to crack and compromised the entire house.
Officials have deemed the house unsafe to live in.
The Red Cross is finding temporary shelter for the family of four.
The incident did not cause any injuries.
new jersey, gloucester county, collapse, local/state
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized 57 min ago
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Cloudy And Cooler
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos