Police take down tents at Pa. 'Occupy' protest
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - December 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police have evicted protesters who set up tents near a Pennsylvania city hall to demonstrate against corporate greed.
Officials started dismantling the Occupy Bethlehem tents early Thursday morning, nearly a week after city officials told protesters it's illegal to camp in a garden next to the library.
Police Commissioner Jason Schiffer says three people were present when police began tearing down the tents. Schiffer says they gathered personal belongings and left the area.
Authorities say the tents and other personal belongings will be put in storage and released to the owners.
The demonstrators had been camping in Bethlehem since late October.
bethlehem, lehigh county, pennsylvania, occupy movement, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack 21 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 7 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 23 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos