"Charlotte's Web" at the Arden Theatre
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - December 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- E.B. White's "Charlotte's Web" has delighted children and adults for generations, exploring life issues through a cast of barnyard animals.
It's a beloved book and an animated video, but now it's a live action play at the Arden Theatre in Old City.
As it often does, the Arden uses minimal costumes and props, instead letting the strength of the characters tell the story.
Aubie Merrylees plays the lead character, Wilbur the Pig, who deals with disappointments, challenges and fears with the help of friends, notably Charlotte the Spider who ultimately saves his life.
His costume "suggests" a pig and he gets to go through some pig-like behavior....rolling around the barnyard and enjoying a good "slop". But the human side of the issues he faces come through strongly in the minimalist atmosphere.
Associate Producer Matthew Decker says the company...the same people who present five main stage productions a year for older audiences...benefits from performing for children.
Decker says children are frank with the cast and don't hide their feelings. If they like something, they're not afraid to laugh, or cheer, or applaud. If not, they might read their program or do something else which lets the people on stage know they're no longer engaged. So the process keeps the cast honest.
"Charlotte's Web" is live on stage at the Arden through January 29th.
There's a complete list of performances and a link to the box office on their website, Arden Theatre.
There, you'll also find links to the Arden's drama school for kids, and information about the company's outreach to teachers and schools.
Teachers often use a book like "Charlotte's Web" in class before taking kids to see the show. And the Arden sometimes sends performers into schools to whet a young audience's appetite.
At the theatre, the cast visits with the audience after the show and will answer kids' questions. You may also phone the box office at 215-922-1122.
theater, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 21 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 40 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete 23 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 3 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
3 min ago